Experienced Attorney Handles Probate and Estate Administration in the Vermont Area
Reliable Vermont lawyer assists executors and administrators
Our estate and trust administration practice guides fiduciaries through their duties of administering estates and trusts.
Probate can refer to the court process of validating a will so an executor can implement the decedent’s wishes or to the oversight the court provides for an estate administrator who settles an intestate estate — one in which the decedent left no will.
Most executors and administrators are not familiar with the relevant laws, and some are even surprised to learn the decedent’s will named them as the responsible party. To complete the process of settling an estate, we help executors and administrators with the following tasks:
- Getting court approval as executor/estate administrator
- Filing the will with the appropriate probate court
- Locating beneficiaries
- Identify probate assets
- Transferring assets from the deceased to the estate
- Hiring valuation, genealogy or other experts, when appropriate
- Resolving creditors and claimant issues
- Collecting amounts owed to the estate
- Paying current and delinquent taxes as well as estate taxes
- Distributing property to beneficiaries
- Complying with fiduciary duties and court orders